We like the idea of doing more with less – as in empowering more teams while having less Jira administration. Reduced admin is one of the principle advantages of using ProForma and we've found a partner that shares that vision.
Botron Software’s Configuration Manager for Jira allows Jira admins to quickly capture and transfer Jira configurations and data, including new custom field types and configurations of third-party apps – like ProForma. Configuration Manager has become the enterprise standard solution for managing Jira configurations at scale.
What is Configuration Manager for Jira?
Configuration Manager automates the transfer of Jira configuration and data between different Jira servers using Configuration Snapshots – packages containing information about Jira configuration. All data in the snapshot is server-independent, which means that it is portable and can be easily transferred to another Jira server. This allows you to:
- Save time by automating the promotion of configuration changes between Test, Staging to Production environments
- Move projects including the entirety of your Jira configurations (workflows, schemes, ProForma templates, etc.) in a self-contained, portable snapshot that can be deployed on any Jira instance
- Know that your production environment is protected by a rollback model, powerful change and impact analysis tools, and a built-in Integrity check
How Does Configuration Manager work with ProForma?
Configuration Manager makes it easy to migrate your ProForma forms from one Jira instance to another. When backup snapshots are created and restored, certain pieces of ProForma data will also be restored from Project Configuration snapshots, System Configuration snapshots or Project with Issues snapshots. This includes:
- Whether ProForma is enabled or disabled on the project (note the default is enabled unless it was ever explicitly set to disabled)
- Whether the project was enabled for Issue Forms
- All of the project's form templates
- Form automation rules
- Data Lookup Connections that are in use on a form. Note that authentication details will be removed, so while the connections will be restored, administrators will need to reenter authentication details for the connection.
- Any issue types and/or statuses that are required to restore the backup
In the current version of the ProForma integration with Configuration Manager for Jira, there are some limitations on Jira Service Desk Projects. The following items are currently not restored from snapshots.
- Form settings for "Jira Service Desk Customer Portal" requests
- Form settings for "Recommended Form" when associated with request types
- Form settings for "Create Issue" when associated with request types
- Form automation rules that include request types
We are working with the team behind Configuration Manager for Jira to develop the capacity for including Request Types in the Snapshot. However, until that functionality is available, you’ll need to manually link forms to their request types after you have copied the configuration.
How to Use Configuration Manager with ProForma
Requirements – Requires version 6.3.4+ of Configuration Manager for Jira
Ensure that ProForma is installed on the target instance. Then execute a system restore using Jira Configuration Manager Snapshot. The settings and configurations listed above will be transferred.
Over to You
ProForma and Botron Software will continue to cover how this new partnership can make Jira administration easier and more scalable. If you haven't tried ProForma for Jira, or it's been a while since you did, see for yourself how powerful forms help build powerful business processes.
Now it's even easier to manage with this Configuration Manager integration.