Atlassian proudly announced an outside report showing Jira Service Desk to be among the most cost effective solutions to ITSM. JSD’s emphasis on automation, self-help and collaboration result in tickets being resolved sooner. That not only means employees are happier, it means the bottom line is healthier.
That’s good news if you’re already using Jira Service Desk to manage IT support. But what about all of those other support teams? A recent forum discussion revealed that in addition to IT support, many organizations are using JSD to manage requests for HR , Facilities and Marketing processes as well. Imagine how much time and money could be saved if all of those teams could “shift left” to lower cost service delivery channels.
Why Jira Service Desk is Better than a Shared Inbox
Lacking a service desk, many business teams have traditionally handled requests via a shared inbox. The limitations are clear:
- Email doesn’t provide a mechanism for measuring or predicting the workload.
- Messages with containing important information can get lost, sit stale in an overflowing inbox, or get bottlenecked while waiting for necessary approvals.
- It’s difficult to audit .You can’t easily see who did what.
- There’s no way to check on the current status of a request (other than sending another email which will further clutter up the inbox and exacerbate the problems listed above)
Contrast that with the advantages of using a service desk:
- Analytics allow teams to measure the frequency of specific request types and the amount of time typically needed to resolve those request. Managers can use that information to anticipate demand and allocate resources accordingly.
- Queues make it easy to manage workflow. Approvals can be built in and requests can be automatically assigned to the team member best qualified to respond.
- You have a end-to-end traceability, making it easy to identify and resolve bottlenecks, and to ensure compliance.
- Processes become more transparent. Anyone associated with an issue can check on it’s status at any time, reducing those dreaded follow-up emails.
Spreading the Service Desk Model Without the Customization Headaches
Clearly almost any team could benefit by converting to Jira Service Desk. But how can you make a Jira Service Desk fit for any team? Jira is almost infinitely flexible, but that flexibility comes at a price. Creating and maintaining all of the customizations you’ll need as more and more teams bring their processes into Jira could become a nightmare. Eventually too many custom fields can also have a negative impact on Jira performance. Yet, if you can’t meet team’s specific needs, they’ll be even more reluctant to move away from that shared inbox.
The solution comes in that most humble of business tools - the form. ProForma allows teams to create forms that embed in Jira issues. ProForma forms can also be published to the Jira Service Desk customer portal making it easy to gather all of the information needed for a specific request.
Combining ProForma with Jira Service Desk is advantageous for both Jira Administrators and business teams.
Reduced Jira Admin
- Fields which are included on the form don’t need to be included on the issue. Teams can gather all of the specific, structured data they want without requiring custom fields.
- ProForma forms will not impact Jira configuration. It’s perfectly safe to let a business team member with Administer Project permissions build, deploy and manage their team’s forms.
- Form fields can be linked to Jira fields so that critical pieces of form data can be queried for, reported on, or used to trigger automation.
Better Business Processes
- Teams can use forms to collect process-specific information at the time the customer places the request, empowering them to provide one-touch service.
- Form validation can be used to enforce business rules and needed approvals can be built into Jira Service Desk, allowing teams to bake best practices into their processes.
- Processes become standardized, streamlined and transparent. Teams can manage complex, data-heavy process by embedding multiple forms in an issue.
If you’re not empowering business teams like HR, Facilities, Marketing and Legal with Jira Service Desk, you could be foregoing significant saving to your organization. Check out our library of Jira Service Desk process templates to see how you can quickly bring business teams into Jira.